Langley to mark 75th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with Bells for Peace campaign: Langley to mark 75th anniversary of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with Bells for Peace campaign ... More
New Directions English Language School - Funded By Government

    New Directions News/Events Details

Service Canada Announcement

In response to the Covid-19 situation, the government has introduced the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit as part of Canada’s Economic Response Plan.

The Canada Emergency Response Benefit will provide a taxable benefit of $2,000 a month for up to 4 months to:

-          workers who must stop working due to COVID-19 and do not have access to paid leave or other income support.

-          workers who are sick, quarantined, or taking care of someone who is sick with COVID-19.

-          working parents who must stay home without pay to care for children that are sick or need additional care because of school and daycare closures.

-          workers who still have their employment but are not being paid because there is currently not sufficient work and their employer has asked them not to come to work.

-          wage earners and self-employed individuals, including contract workers, who would not otherwise be eligible for Employment Insurance.


Important information for workers who have lost their jobs or are unable to work:

-          Workers should continue to apply for Employment Insurance benefits.

-          Individuals who have already applied for Employment Insurance will be automatically enrolled for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.

-          The Canada Emergency Response Benefit will be accessible through a secure web portal starting in early April. Applicants will also be able to apply via an automated telephone line or via a toll-free number.

-          Visit the Canada Revenue Agency website for additional information on how the Canada Emergency Response Benefit will help workers.


Service Canada can help!

Employment Insurance and Pension applications can be made online at:

If you require assistance, you can complete a service request form at: